Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mets Rebounding, but Need to do More

The New York Mets have resurrected their season this past week with series wins over the Yankees and Phillies, looking for the sweep over the ladder tonight. The fans are going to games and are developing some hope to what can be a playoff team. But they can not be one with what they have now.

I am a Yankees fan, and I will admit I do not and have not payed as much attention to the Mets and the rest of baseball as I do the Yankees. But ever since I started this blog, I have made a commitment to myself and to you to follow baseball a little more broadly. If I didn't it would be unfair to you the readers.

From what I have seen so far the Mets have 2 reliable starters that are worthy enough to go out every 5th day and take the ball. If the Mets wish to continue with their good play of late, they must go out and acquire a reliable starting pitcher. That pitcher can be anybody from Roy Oswalt to Kevin Millwood and anyone in-between, but they must acquire one. Oswalt last week has demanded a trade from the Astros and I think the Mets would be silly to not inquire about the dominant right-hander who has pitched great in his last four starts. Can the Mets get him or any of them? It depends what other teams would want in return, but I believe they have the minor league resources to pull off such a trade.

The call-up of Ike Davis has settled down the talk of bringing back Daniel Murphy. Ike has provided a spark to the team, but as I have said before he can not be the reliable source for offense in that lineup. Reyes, Wright, and Bay must take the pressure off of the rookie if the Mets are to compete. Rod Barajas has saved everybody this season so far with his hot bat as he continues to be everything the Mets could have hoped for, and more.

When, and if, Carlos Beltran comes back, the Mets should have made an addition to the starting rotation and will have all the pieces in place to make a second half run at the Wild Card and perhaps the Phillies. But none of this can happen if certain additions are not made and the bats from the core do not pick up.

Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment